Why do you have to take care of the culture when launching your business to start giving service to a place where culture is a big issue?
For most startups and even experienced company owners, the reason is NOT clear, but thinking about it makes sense. So let’s go into it deeply!
Culture is the social behavior and norms found in human societies.(Source: Wikipedia)
Wait a minute, it says “behavior” right? Let’s see another definition:
Culture is a word for the ‘way of life’ of groups of people, meaning the way they do things. Different groups may have different cultures. A culture is passed on to the next generation by learning, whereas genetics are passed on by heredity. Culture is seen in people’s writing, religion, music, clothes, cooking, and in what they do.(Source: Wikipedia Simple Version)
Ok, here we have the word “way of life” in the second definition.
So what does a business have to do with culture?
Okay! Culture is the behavior and way of life of people, as we understand from the above two definitions. Thus culture has knowledge, belief, and system derived in the form of inheritance, and individuals tend to follow their own culture’s lifestyle.
A company that attempts to reject, ignore the culture of people and reflect another culture is certainly going to get into serious trouble. So that’s why you’d better look and understand the people’s way of life or the location you’d like to begin your business journey. And another reality is: you have to feel like you’re joining a fresh lifestyle when you’re thinking about beginning a business somewhere.
For this reason, we’re going to find the best techniques to assist you to make your fresh or established company compatible with any culture in this globe.
1. Choose the right business, which is the perfect fit for that culture?
If you’re thinking about starting a new business, you must choose the correct business to suit the culture you’re joining. I wrote an article on the selection of the right business that matters to society, you can read it.
2. Follow the rules to become compliant with the culture
Every location may have experience of different behaviors and knowledge levels, so it is common that they express it with their particular and general laws. In general, this is considered their culture. So it’s up to you as a business person to learn, understand, and obey people’s rules to become compliant with their culture at the same time. Let’s see some of the rules below:
NOTE: when we’re speaking about a business person, we’re talking about your entire company, including all employees.
- Dressing rule: If those people have a strict dressing rule, you’re going to have to wear as you see it. If they don’t like being half-naked, you’ve got to wear a dress that covers all of you or as indicated in their dressing rule. If one of your staff is not interested in following their guidelines, particularly your secretary, sales or marketing officer, it is time to say farewell to this worker and discover a better one.
- Eating rule: If they eat 6 times a day, you might have to do the same thing as it might not hurt you badly. Also, unless they are interested, you don’t force them to follow your eating habits.
- Belief rule: You think in your own manner, and in their manner, they think. Most individuals are serious about spiritual activities, so it’s time to restrict your company from such activities unless it’s necessary. I am sure that no one in our globe is forcing you to follow a system of beliefs that is not yours, but that they may present their beliefs to you and it is up to you to choose. If you are loyal for your belief system, you may need to pack all you have in that location and switch to another location where your company would be fitting to operate.
- Business law or rule: For company owners, every location on this planet already has the rule set up. So, discover it and use it!
- Other rules: To maintain your company compatible with their culture, you must follow all other excellent guidelines and continue to run until you reach your objective.
My Final thought about rules!
Discover and inherit their good rule and make it as your company rule.
3. Keep yourself updated
Regardless of what, your company is affected by any information, whether it is about war, entertainment, law changes, or any other information, so be active. The reason is that even if they modify their law or system from time to time, you can always be compatible with their culture.
My Final thought
What if the people are open to experience another culture or have no culture at all?
Well, that’s really a bit of luck to discover an open society, and if you’re interested in starting your company in whatever way you want, you can even demonstrate your culture to them. But bear in mind that as a business person, following the general business rules will prevent your company from failure. So sometimes, even if it is allowed, you don’t have to be half-naked. In a rare case, if it helps your business to give service in a way they want like dressing a t-shirt with short pant, that’s 100% fine.
We are sorry that this article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this article!
Tell us how we can improve this article?